Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Dogs Life

We have an outside dog named Tia (It means "Aunt" in Spanish). She is a Weimaraner. Here are just a few funny pictures of her.




And here is her profile.



We have had her three years. Since we have done quite a bit of work on beautifying our back yard, she has had to stay in a pen on the side of our house. She is a little hyper but we love her. I was thinking about her this morning at 3 something AM. Why? I don't really know. Because she is in a pen for a good part of the day, she is always very happy to see any of us. She literally dances at the gate and whines if you are in the yard and she is not out of her pen. She is almost spastic about it.

I want to be like my dog. I know you are all chuckling about now that I would say that. You are all wondering if I would want to lounge around all day and be lazy. That is not how I want to be like her. I want to be like her in the fact that she can't remember the bad things that have happened to her or who did those "unpleasant" things to her. She loves (sometimes too much) anyone that pays attention to her. She is always happy to see someone she loves. She dances with joy at the prospect of just being in our presence. I need to be more like my dog.

Sometimes I am too quick to slink back into my dog house and play hermit when the opportunity presents itself to meet someone new. Sometimes I am like a neighbors dog that doesn't let anyone in by barking and snarling and snapping. Sometimes I can't forget an unkind word that was spoken or that I heard from the "grapevine". And sometimes I am more like "an Elephant that never forgets". I for one would do better off to be more like my dog.

I wonder what kind of dream I was having or state that I was in when I woke at 3 something and thought about these analogies? Let that be a lesson to me. There is never a set time to learn something. Even from the life of a canine. Happy day today. K8

No comments: