Friday, May 20, 2011

My Senior

I have been wanting to write this blog for some time but I just keep putting it off. Mainly because it just brings to the bubbling surface all the feelings I want to keep hidden. I wrote a blog last year at this time about my kids moving up towards graduation and the feelings I had. I did not know that I would feel it more so this year with my oldest graduating from High school. The feelings are magnified even more so.

I have always been the type of mother (or so I thought) that celebrated each new thing my children were going to face. I never cried at them starting Kindergarten, or graduating 6th grade. It was a little weird to see them starting Jr. High and then High school but I was ok with that. It's just that in seeing Tessa graduating reminds me of how I felt graduating from High School. I remember it vividly even though it was so long ago. She will be moving on and even though she is going to be living at home, going to a junior college for the first year, I am not sure that I can tell her to turn out the light and go to bed. There is a different feel to the Mother/Daughter relationship. We have always been friends but I was a mom to her too. But now, I feel as if that title has come to mean something else. I will always worry and want to help but now is the time for me to be silent until the advice is to be asked for. Even the world no longer sees me as her guardian. She signs all the paperwork for herself now, she can check herself in and out of an Urgent Care, and my role is now a limited role.

But even if my role as her mother has diminished some, I can still be proud and look at her with admiration for being the student that she has been and woman that she is. She is caring and considerate of others, she thinks first and then acts. She is compassionate and loving. She is great with kids and loves them. She is organized and punctual. Hardly ever does she procrastinate. She has a very contagious laugh and loves to have fun. She is a loyal friend. I am grateful to have been chosen to be her mother. She has made my calling as mother an easy one.




She can be intent and fierce when she needs to be.




She is funny too. :)

I love you Tessa. I pray you will do well on your new adventures! And that you will work hard as you always have to attain those goals you have set for yourself. Remember who you are, and act accordingly! :)

4 comments:

Auburn said...

Apparently I'm one of those Mom's who does cry . . . cause I'm kinda tearing up reading your post!!

Tessa is a great girl - I miss seeing her!

She's gonna do great in life . . . heck, she already is!!

Ann said...

Kate, love your post! So bitter sweet isn't it! Remember life is good, and it is only going to get better! Or at least that is what they keep telling me! Tessa is so beautiful and amazing! I am thrilled for the success she has had both as a student and an athlete, not to mention her sweet spirit! Love you both!

The Silly Nilly Family said...

I can't even imagine having a senior/gratuated. Seems really neat and scary. : )

Merrells said...

Can't believe how grown up she is...and a beautiful girl to boot!