Our Cockatiel "Sugar" has been a member of our family for a very long time.

He was originally Alan's Grandmother's bird. (I personally have known the bird for 21 years.) When she got so that she couldn't take care of him, he became ours. He would whistle and talk. His favorite sayings, " Hello Baby", "Whatcha doing baby?", "Are you my baby?" His song would be one that "Nanny" had whistled to him from the moment she got him. Over the years in my attempt to copy her whistling, it has changed to my song. When he would carry on, Alan and I felt like she was near and he was chatting with her.
Sugar has been aging. (These birds can live up to 40 years. Serious thought has to go into owning one because of the many years they live.) We were gone to Utah for a whole month and he was doing fine. On Sunday he took a huge turn for the worst. I think he ended up with a broken foot and this caused him not to be as mobile. He went down fast. I knew he wasn't doing well and expected him to die while I was away from home on Tuesday. Wednesday he was worse. He was suffering. So for our evening prayer, the children and I asked Father in Heaven to take him "home" so that he wouldn't suffer any more. With in twenty minutes he gave his last breath and died.
I knew that God was listening to the humble pleas of our family and because of His love for all things, our prayers were answered and our loved pet was released from the pain. He cared about the cockatiel suffering in the cage and if He could show such love to a bird, he cared about me. I know He does. I know He cares about all his children. I am grateful to know this.
2 comments:
Kate- I am so sorry. I know how these pets are so much a part of families. My condolences to you and your family!
Love you!
Maureen
I'm sorry to hear about your hard days and especially Sugar. I had no idea that birds had that long of a lifespan!
Post a Comment