Thursday, June 21, 2012

Moving On - Times 2

I don't even know how to begin this post.  I am trying to be careful what I say or think because if I think about it too much I cry.  But I need to "put it down" so there is proof someday that I really did "feel" about it all.

First off is graduation for Josh.  May 24, 2012

I have another graduate.  I am amazed how hard this has been for me to know that I have two that have graduated high school.  It just seems like I was just graduating and wondering what I was going to do with my life.  Trying to decide where I was going to go to school, what I would major in, how soon I would find that special someone to be happy with.  And now, I have Two children at that stage of life!  Two out of high school, Two in college, Two moving on and Two moving out!
We were all there to support Josh but Seth disappeared quickly after the ceremonies.

The day after graduation, as a family, we moved Tessa into her apartment.  That seemed even more difficult to handle than Josh graduating the night before!  My oldest, my first, my own baby girl leaving the nest, becoming independent, cutting her strings, flying the coop, being on her own.  I couldn't watch as tears filled both of our eyes as we left her at her doorstep.  I wish I would have taken a photo of that, but I couldn't see and I didn't want to upset her.  I cried all night and found out later she did too. Her apartment is too quiet and lonely when her roommate is not there, so we see her on the weekends.  I can handle that.  But once Soccer season starts we won't see her as much.


In August, Josh will start college in Utah.  Even farther away than Tessa.  I am sure it will hurt as much to drive away after we drop him off as well.  Oh the adventures he will have being away from his parents.  I am sure he will do well.  I realize they are old enough to go to college and be on their own, but they are mine, and we as mothers, spend our whole parenting years doing just that.  It is not so easy to turn "off" those mothering feelings that have been maturing for the 18 years they have been "on".  How do you, when there is no switch?

So now I will be down two kiddos at home.  I am curious to see how the dynamics of the family will change.

1 comment:

Winn said...

These two birds who have flown the nest are wonderful young adults. We are lucky to know them! I love you Tessa and Josh. Auntie Bites to both of you. XOXO