Isn't it amazing how our bodies work? Last night at 12:30 AM Alan woke with an intense pain in his lower abdomen. I thought it might be an appedicites (my spelling is terrible) attack but then he wasn't running a fever or wanting to throw up either. Just intense pain. So I asked him if he wanted me to take him to the ER. So we went at 1:00 AM. Come to find out he is passing a kidney stone. I have never experienced anyone in this circumstance before. I didn't know they were that painful. The nurse said it was just like the last stage of labor. So Alan is going through his labor today to pass a stone about 4mm. (Which I am told looks like a grain of sand. Somehow I doubt he will make a pearl out of it.) He is hoping to loose it quickly so he can referee some soccer games this weekend. Priorities eh? We got home at 5:30 AM.
I do have to mention one other thing. After they gave Alan some pain meds and muscle relaxors early this morning, they plug him up to a vitals machine to watch his blood pressure, heart, blood oxygen, and heart rate. I could not even dose as the stupid machine kept beeping because either his pulsox (oxygen level in the blood) was dropping below 90 or his pulse was dropping below 50 beats per minute. His resting pulse rate is around 50! I wonder if it was drug induced to be that low. Once it even dipped to 45. The PA even commented on it. He has worked hard exercizing. He has dropped 25 pounds and looks great. Here's to the passing of the "sand" stone. :)
At 3:45 this afternoon our "sand" stone was delivered. Yeah! :)
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Poor Alan! Feel better soon!
So glad to see you are a blogger. I enjoyed reading them all. I will check back often. I found your blog from Donna's. I don't have much to write about, but sure enjoy reading others. HOpe your hubby is doing ok now.
Oh, yes. Having worked many a night in the ER, you can recognize the "stone walk" as they're coming in. I have it on good authority that passing a stone is worse than any stage of labor (this coming from several women who would know) and sounds like Alan is a feather-weight with pain meds. That's ok. Better than being a frequent user. Well, congratulations on a successful delivery. The pain may be equal or worse but I'd much rather take home a baby!
So sorry to hear about the kidney stone. Unfortunately, it runs in my family. Dad, Mom, my brother and my sister all have 'em. Actually, my brother just did a stint in the hospital two weeks ago. It was huge and needed to be lazer blasted. He is passing the "babies" now.
What is really sad, is that my sister has been suffering with them for over four years. She passes anywhere from one to five a week. She has been to every specialist she knows in SLC. She has finally found a doctor who thinks he knows why she is producing them so fast. We pray that relief is on the way fast. It has totally turned her life upside down.
I'm glad your stone is passed and may they be very few and far between!!
Post a Comment