Tuesday, September 13, 2011

LOTOJA 2011

Saturday September 10, 2011
The LOTOJA or in other words LOgan, Utah TO JAckson Hole, Wyoming. 206 miles. 3 States. 1 day. A grueling, long day! This is the second time Alan has done the LOTOJA. If 206 miles is not enough, this year the wind constantly blew, making the ride even more difficult. This is Alan at the start with a smile on his face, knowing what was a head.


During the race, there are a few determined stops where a support person can refill food stores and refresh drinks for the riders. This is Alan after 80 miles. He was feeling sick and was "hurting" as they put it. There comes a time during these races that they don't feel they can eat. And if you don't eat, you can't keep up with the exertion on your body. Drinking is vital to be hydrated as well. I was concerned for him at this stage of the race. By the second "feed zone" he was feeling a little better. And by the third zone was even better. I really don't know how he does it.


This photo was taken just after the third feed zone that I gave him the food and water. He was feeling good and so I decided to get on ahead of him and pull over and take some photos. He was feeling well enough to give me a wave and a smile.


This is at the finish line. 10 hours and 16 minutes later. He placed 17th out of 58 in his grouping. It has to feel pretty good knowing you will soon be off the bike and that you accomplished something hard.


I am amazed at him doing so well. He really can do HARD things. I am proud of him! Way To Go Alan!


The other wonderful thing about this years race is that my brother and his family were there. My nephew in law raced for the first time. We cheered our racers on and helped take photos during the race. It was fun to have them around. Here is a photo of them after Lance came over the finish line! Way To Go Lance!

3 comments:

The Walkers said...

They did a wonderful job! Way to go Alan :) Thanks again for taking pictures!

Lisa W said...

That is an amazing accomplishment. It's amazing what the human body can do and probably a lot of the mind too. Congratulations Alan!

Some Kind of Crazy said...

Wow! I'm sure that you're both relieved to have it over!

Have you started making memory boxes of the races? That would be cool to see a wall with framed boxes of his number, medal, pictures, etc.